In preparation for landing in Mexico last August, the flight attendants on my plane handed out the brief paperwork that all tourists must complete before entering the country. Some passengers clearly had the routine down to a science. Others looked like a deer in headlights, unsure about how to complete the form and what information was required.
Inevitably, this left some people scrambling through their carry-ons in the overhead bins, trying to find a pen and their passport, and others turning to their neighbor for help with the Forma Migratoria Multiple (FMM).
Whether you’re an experienced traveler or a first-time flyer, there’s good news for honeymooners with Mexico on their mind: the FMM can now be completed electronically prior to your departure. All you have to do is remember to print it out and pack the form with your passport before leaving for your honeymoon. Easy peasy.
If you’re not familiar with the process, here’s a quick primer:
What is a Mexican tourist card, also known as the FMM (Forma Migratoria Multiple)?
It’s a mandatory government document you must complete prior to passing through immigration upon your arrival in Mexico. Essentially, it’s a brief form on which you declare your purpose for visiting Mexico (i.e., honeymoon versus business). If you’re arriving by air, the paperwork is distributed on most flights prior to landing.
What do I need to complete the form?
- Your passport
- The name of your resort/accommodations and its address
What happens to the card once I pass through immigration en route to my honeymoon?
An immigration officer will keep the ‘entry’ tab on your form and hand the rest of the document back to you. Keep it safe for the duration of your honeymoon! You will need the form to return home. Losing it will result in you having to wait in line to purchase a new tourist card (about $25) and fill it out again.
What are the benefits of filling out the FMM before my honeymoon departure?
Filling the tourist card out online prior to your honeymoon means:
- No rifling through your carry-on bag mid-flight to retrieve your passport information.
- No asking your neighbor to borrow his or her pen because you don’t have one and/or can’t locate yours in your carry-on.
- No scratching your head because you don’t have your resort’s address on hand and stressing about if you really truly need to list the address.
- No risk of immigration officials not being able to read your writing since all of your information is printed.
- Less standing around in line waiting to pass through immigration since all of your information is already in the system.
- Potentially more time to nap or to finish your in-flight movie.